A Diploma Supplement describes knowledge and skills acquired by holders of higher education degrees.
Purpose of Diploma Supplement
The purpose of the Diploma Supplement is to provide sufficient independent data to improve the international ‘transparency’ and fair academic and professional recognition of qualifications.
- The main reason for implementation of the Diploma Supplement were persisting problems with recognition of the qualification on an international level due to lack of information, notwithstanding a transformation of the national education structures in consequence of the economic and technical progress. A mobility of citizens is contingent on a provable evidence of their formal qualifications, which is provided by the Diploma Supplement.
- Diploma Supplement provides a description of the nature, level, context, content and status of the studies that were pursued and successfully completed.
- Diploma Supplement provides also an additional information to diploma and transcript of records, however, does not replace the original document of formal qualification and does not provide automatically a recognition of this qualification.
Benefits of the Diploma Supplement for graduates
University diploma accompanied by the Diploma Supplement is more easily understood and comparable due to comprehensive information about acquired qualification during university education as well as it provides an objective report of the obtained results. The Diploma Supplement:
- provides easier access to the further study or employment opportunities at a labour market abroad
- supports the transparency of the university education and takes account of changes at skills profiles
- makes more visible the respective academic institution in abroad what results in the increasing opportunities of its graduates get employment at the national and international level
- helps significantly to the mobility and accessibility to the further training or education
- supports the fair and appropriate appraisal of the acquired qualification.