Instructions for Theses (SP, DT)
Seminar paper (SP) is a separate written output of the student (student can have the supervisor of SP) for the seminar block, where there is no paper or essay, but rather an academic text according to appropriate instructions and defined standards.
Before writing and defending the SP
- Each SP must be written and presented in accordance with VŠEM instructions for writing theses.
- Before writing your first of seminar paper go through the instructions for writing scientific papers, that will be your guide.
- Reviewing your chosen area (theme and the name of SP), along with finding relevant academic sources in sufficient quantities.
- Establish a narrower thematic areas (themes) for your SP.
When to write the SP
- Deadline for submission and SP presentation is fixed.
- We encourage you to be interested by this term from the commencement of studies at VŠEM.
|START OF STUDY||SP/DT TERM||EVALUATION OF SP||SP PRESENTATION|
|October||31st December||15th January||1st March|
|January||1st April||15th April||11th June|
|April||1st September||15th September||12th November*|
Presentation of SP at distance form of studies is not obligatory.
Topic of the SP
- Topics of the seminar paper are assigned / chosen individually by student.
- Students are recommended to consult theme of their thesis with the lecturer of the relevant subject.
- Before the student starts working on the seminar paper, the topic must be approved by the lecturer.
- Each student can, obviously, ask his or her lecturer for a consultation.
- In the seminar paper, students should prove the ability of deeper understanding a processing of the chosen issue which exceeds the framework of the course and its basic study literature.
- The seminar paper should be submitted via following student form.
Format of the SP
- The seminar paper should include prescribed title and cover (title) page, followed by the list of contents (without page number).
- The seminar paper template including cover page and title page is available here.
Extent of the SP
- Seminar paper 10-15 pages
- 10-15 pages without the title page, contents, list of bibliography used, list of abbreviations used, and appendixes.
Classification and number of attempts SP
- Evaluation of SP from the lecturer of VŠEM is available within 30 days of submission and registration SP.
- If SP does not meet the prescribed formal (administrative) requirements, the seminar paper is returned to the student for redoing.
- Students have three attempts for seminar paper.
- After the unsuccessful third attempt (grade 4 - failed), there is one more extra retake attempt.
- Student must present the seminar paper within the SP presentations.
Content and progress of defenses SP
- The SP presentation is held by an expert committee.
- Student presents the objectives, methods, basic results, which reached in resolving SP, not theory.
- During the SP presentation the student responds to comments from the committee to presented SP immediately after completing his/her part of the presentation.
- The length of the oral presentation should not exceed 5 minutes.
- Student is actively involved throughout the entire block of SP presentations, ie. participation in the SP presentation is mandatory at all times (until the announcement of the results).
- Student does not present only the SP, but defends, ie., Must demonstrate knowledge of the subject in response to questions.
Classification and evaluation of SP presentation
- If a student fails to present SP, SP is classified as "failed - 4".
- The classification reflects written part of the SP and presentation of the SP, which is an integral part of each classified SP.
- Decision of expert committee is considered final and unchangeable.
- SP classified as "unsatisfactory (4)" the student must revise according to comments and lecturer (content of the SP) and the expert committee (presenting SP).