Innovation system evaluation
United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE), based in Geneva, is one of five regional commissions of the United Nations, comprises 56 member countries. Division of Economic cooperation and integration is aimed at promoting political, financial and regulatory framework for economic growth, innovation and development of knowledge-based competitiveness with an emphasis on transition economies, especially the CIS countries. International professional activities of the division are carried out by an expert team of policy innovation performance and competitiveness (TOS-ICP) that long-term cooperation with UNECE (his four-year mandate was renewed with effect from the year 2011). Anna Kadeřábková is a member of the TOS-ICP since its establishment in 2007 and is involved in all its activities.
Expert team for Innovation and Competitiveness Policies
- United Nations Economic Commission of Europe
- Economic Cooperation and Integration Division
- Innovation and Competitiveness Policies
UNECE expertise in supporting innovation and competitiveness include applied seminars and workshops for key stakeholders of target countries´economic policies and evaluate their innovation performance (Innovation Performance Review, IPR, see below). There are regular meetings TOS-ICP Geneva and at the UN International Conference on fostering innovation and competitiveness on selected topics.
- Fifth Session of the Team of Specialists on Innovation and Competitiveness Policies, 12.-13.4.2012, OSN Geneva
- International Conference on Knowledge-based Development and Innovative Entrepreneurship, 24.-25.11.2011, Baku
- International Conference Promoting Eco-innovation: Policies and Opportunities, 11.-13.7.2011, Tel Aviv
- Fourth Session of the Team of Specialists on Innovation and Competitiveness Policies, 12.-13.5.2011, OSN Geneva
- 3rd Session of the SPECA Project WG on Knowledge-based Development, 28.-30.6.2010, Astana
- Regional seminar on trade and economic aspects of intellectual property, 9.-10.6.2010, Minsk
- Conference on Policies to Address Challenges in High-growth Innovative Firms, 2.-4.6.2010, Helsinki
- 3rd Session of the UNECE TOS on Innovation and Competitiveness Policies, 25.-26.3.2010, OSN Geneva
- Promoting Innovation in the Services Sector, 25.3.2010, OSN Geneva
- Seminar in the Area of Financing of Innovative Enterprises, Commercialization of IP and PPP, 10.-11.11.2009 Bishkek
- Promoting Innovation-based Entrepreneurial Opportunities in the UNECE Region, 28.-29.9.2009, OSN Geneva
- Conference on Technological Readiness for Innovation-based Competitiveness, 29.-30.6.2009, OSN Geneva
- International Conference on Knowledge-based Development, 10.-12.6.2009, Minsk
- Conference on Strengthening Integration of Economies in Transition into World Economy, 2.-4.4.2008, OSN Geneva
- Second Session of the Team of Specialists on Innovation and Competitiveness Policies, 14.-15.2.2008, OSN Geneva
- First Session of the Team of Specialists on Innovation and Competitiveness Policies, 8.-9.3.2007, OSN Geneva
Innovation Performance Rating (IPR)
Innovation performance rating (IPR) is based on a mission of international experts (fact-finding mission), which uses personal contact with all the key players of innovation performance at the highest level (companies, banks, academic / analytical institutions, technical and scientific parks) and its political support (ministries, state agencies support, representation of international organizations). The result is a publication of the mission evaluation, which is discussed at the meeting of the UNECE and the related national and international workshops and conferences, including specific recommendations to improve innovation performance. Evaluation and its implications in the target countries are given special attention.
Structure rating reflects development and political specificities of the target countries. Includes an introductory overview of economic and innovative performance, the structure of the national innovation system and its management, framework conditions, innovation policies and instruments, the role of bodies of knowledge creation and innovation support, the links between the corporate sector and knowledge institutions and their cooperation in the innovation process, funding innovative entrepreneurs the link between innovation performance and international economic integration. CIS participates in evaluations of national innovation systems, particularly in the area between the academic and the business sector (role of stakeholders, legal and institutional framework), based on field survey and analysis of available sources related assessment and formulates policy recommendations.
In 2010 was the first expert mission of UNECE in Belarus, initiated and co-financed by the Eurasian Development Bank (EDB) and implemented at the invitation of the Belarusian government. EDB has formulated it´s own setting for supplement of evaluation study for identification of promising innovation-based projects and sources of information for investors. In this chapter are connected accents of national economic strategy and priorities for innovation-based development of a comprehensive evaluation of existing innovation performance. In 2011, organized by UNECE (in partnership with national governments) expert mission in Kazakhstan, conference in Baku (Azerbaijan) on knowledge-based development and innovative business and conference in Chisinau, Moldova to the national innovation strategy. In 2012, ongoing expert mission to Ukraine.
- Innovation Performance Review of Kazakhstan (April 2012)
- Innovation Performance Review of Belarus (April 2011)
Other publications of Economic Cooperation and Integration Division include topics as innovation-based business and its financing, commercialization of intellectual property.
- Fostering Innovative Entrepreneurship: Challenges and Policy Options (March 2012)
- Intellectual Property Commercialization: Policy Options and Practical Instruments (September 2011)
- Innovation in the Services Sector: Review of Experiences and Policies (March 2011)
- Policy Options and Instruments for Financing Innovation (January 2009)
- Enhancing the Innovative Performance of Firms (January 2009)
- Developing Entrepreneurship in the UNECE Region (January 2008)
- Compendium of Good Practices in Promoting Knowledge-Based Development (January 2008)
- Guidebook on Promoting Good Governance in Public-Private Partnerships (January 2008)
- Creating a Conducive Environment for Higher Competitiveness and Effective Innovation Systems (January 2007)
- Financing Innovative Development (January 2007)
- Information and Communication Technology Policy and Legal Issues for Central Asia (January 2007)